Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thing #5 RSS Feeds

For Thing #5 I set up my Google Reader account and subscribed to the required feeds and some others. I like the concept of RSS and Readers. It is a hassle to go through every bookmark I have when I want to see updates. Feeding them to my Google Reader makes keeping up with my favorite blogs and news easy.

The challenge I see in using RSS is remembering to check the Reader. :) But, remembering to check one site for updates is definitely better than hunting down all my bookmarks.

Students 2oh I enjoyed reading this blog of actual students’ writing. I could relate to the students writing for the blog from a parental point of view. The students were documenting their journey of graduating from high school, applying, and starting college. As a parent I have recently gone through that same process with my daughter, Sarah. She graduated from WMHS 2007 and is now a Sophomore at UT.

Another feed I subscribed to is the Mesquite section of the Dallas Morning News site. I found an article reporting MISD is now allowing facial hair on male employees. From as far back as I can remember starting first grade in MISD in 1965 through 2009 and 24 years' experience as an employee, men in the District have never been allowed to have facial hair. My how times change. The comments after the article were other than complimentary… an example of Darth Commenter according to Cool Cat Teacher.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your feed. I am going to add the Mesquite section of the Dallas Morning News to my Google Reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It helps to set aside time on your calendar for professional reading just like you would for lunch. Although I have to admit it can be easily ignored but at least it's there and sometimes not ignored. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That facial hair thing has been so funny. Our office is at the Service Center and we work year round. Within 10 days of getting that notification, every man here now has some type of beard!

    ReplyDelete