Tuesday, June 30, 2009

One Last Thing

Logically, the post "One Last Thing" would be the easiest to write. Not so much. 23 Things introduced so many wonderful Internet resources to me. I learned new things about RSS Feeds, Creative Commons, and Voicethread. I was also introduced to tools of organization in Google Docs, Delicious, and Google Reader. Some Things were already familiar to me, some were brand new. All were fascinating, intriguing, and useful. Oh, and I like making links in blog posts. :)

After completing 23 Things, I have a list of other things I want to further explore. My list includes Bubbleshare (online slideshows), Discovery Channel, Gliffy (create diagrams), Learn Outloud (audio books, podcasts, etc.), National Geographic Kids, Pageflakes (similar to iGoogle page), PBWorks (Wiki site), Podnova (podcasts), Podomatic (podcasts), Smilebox (photos, slideshows), Swyzzle (create slideshows), Wattpad (ebook sharing community), Think Free (online docs), Joost (social networking), and Netvibes (widget organizer). Those should keep me busy for quite some time and lock in my status as a Lifelong Learner.

My favorite Things were Google Reader and Creative Commons. I read a lot on the Internet - personal and professional material. It has always been challenging to keep up with feeds I read regularly. Google Reader solved that problem. I subscribed to feeds and check it several times a day. Creative Commons is a wealth of copyright safe images.

Most surprising was learning the art of blog commenting. Previous to 23 Things, I was more likely to read and absorb. Post 23 Things, I participate in the conversations and get more out of them. I didn't realize there was a proper way to comment.

I am very glad I chose summer to take this class. The amount of hours I put into it would not have been possible during the school year. I would have liked to learn more about MISD's specific policies concerning Internet use in schools. I realize that is a work in progress and probably would be better suited for a different class.

Would I do something like this again? Absolutely! I wouldn't have to think twice about it.

There are many things that will be going into the classroom with me this next year. I'm hoping to sell my second grade team on a grade level website. Second Grade Adventures is shaping up to be lots of fun. Culips will be great to use with my ESL students.

To document my continued learning and explorations, I plan to continue reading and make posts on my Longhorn Mom blog. It will be a good place to keep my thoughts together. My co-teachers will probably get tired of hearing about Web 2.0. I will either sell them on it or they will tell me to hush. :)

23 Things has been the beginning of a long journey of learning to come.

1 comment: