Monday, June 29, 2009

Thing #7a Google Reader Blog

Checking my Google Reader every day (usually several times a day) has quickly become a habit for me. :)

Reading the newspaper or even listening to news on the radio have never been things of interest to me. I don't like newsprint on my hands! LOL The news is usually depressing anyway.

But, with Google Reader, I choose what news I want to hear about. I even subscribe to my own blogs. Sounds odd, but that is an easy way for me to know when I get comments without having to check the blog comments every day and try to remember what was there yesterday to figure out what is new. That's way too complicated to encourage me to do it.

I also subscribe to classmates blogs to stay in touch and follow their progress, as well as get ideas and advice when needed.

Today I chose to write about an article I read in my Reader. The Dallas News printed a story called "Richland Community College will premiere a new Garland satellite campus" today, June 30th. Richland Community College is opening a satellite campus in Garland targeted to continued training in manufacturing jobs. This fits with our theme of being lifelong learners. The building is also "green." I like both ideas.

Eastfield College in Mesquite is opening a similar type satellite campus in Pleasant Grove. Its focus will be offering help to make students' first year of college successful. Students will be directed to Eastfield's main campus their second year. This campus will also offer classes in management training.

I like that our community college system is taking steps toward encouraging furthering education of our county. They are also providing a means toward that goal.

Lifelong Learners - Onward Ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment