Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thing #7b Google Reader Response

It has become a habit, quite easily I might add, to check my Reader every day... several times a day. :)

In my explorations, I found a blog called Teachers At Risk that I love. It is written by a Special Education teacher named Elona Hartjes. Her views on education that I have read so far are parallel with mine.

An especially good post she wrote is Nine things my students have taught me about classroom management and teaching. Her very first item listed is "I’ve learned that students need me to be a teacher and not their friend." She states she is friendly, but not their friend. She must remain the authority figure.

I also like point #3 "
I’ve learned that class rules need to be developed by the class and the teacher and then posted on the wall for all to see." When I began teaching 25 years ago I had my second and fourth grade classes develop the class rules, while making sure the school's rules were incorporated. I haven't seen much of this practice in the last few years since I have been out of the regular classroom.

In the articles I read by Ms. Hartjes, I found her to be positive, resourceful, and flowing with good ideas that are simple but effective.

Another plus is that her work is listed in Creative Commons. That tells me that she stands by her beliefs and wants to share them. She also lists Ed Helper as a resource. I use it regularly already. :)

Elona Hartjes is an educator I plan to follow in the future. She has much wisdom from which I can learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment